Welcome to Vintage Vixen’s first Crochet-a-long! Every month in 2018, we will use the month’s stitch pattern to make two blocks. By the end of the year, we will have 24 blocks ready to join into a wonderful afghan!
This post discusses color choices! The sample piece will be worked in twelve colors, but you can work in three, four, six, or twenty four! For yarn recommendations, see 2018 Vintage Vixen CAL: Materials
Complementary Color Scheme:
The sample piece will make two blocks each month in different, complementary colors. To do this with your own yarns, organize the colors like a color wheel: red, red-orange, orange, orange-yellow, yellow, yellow-green, green, green-blue, blue, blue-violet, violet, violet-red.
[It’s okay to skip some of these color groups and have more than one in others. As long as you have half “warm” colors (reds & yellows) and half “cool” colors (blues), this will work!]
Pair each yarn with the yarn opposite to it in your wheel. (Red with Green, Red-Orange with green-blue, Orange with Blue, etc.)
For my colors (see 2018 Vintage Vixen CAL: Materials for the names of the colorways), I paired:
- Dark Red (A) with Teal (G)
- Red-Orange (B) with Dark Blue-Green (H)
- Orange (C) with Blue (I)
- Yellow (D) with Dark Blue (J)
- Green (E) with Purple (K)
- Dark Green (F) with Pink (L)
Alternative Color Choices:
For help choosing sets of 3, 4, or 6 colors, see The Color Wheel
- Three Colors (560yds/400g each): In Color A, make two each of January, April, July, & October blocks. In Color B, make two each of February, May, August, and November blocks. In Color C, make two each of March, June, September, and December blocks.
- Four Colors (420yds/300g each): In Color A, make two each of January, May, and September. In Color B, make two each of February, June, and October. In Color C, make two each of March, July, and November. In Color D, make two each of April, August, and December.
- Six Colors (280yds/200g each): In Color A, make two each of January and July. In Color B, make two each of February and August. In Color C, make two each of March and September. In Color D, make two each of April and October. In Color E, make two each of May and November. In Color F, make two each of June and December.
- Twelve Colors (140yds/100g each): ABOVE. January A&G, February B&H, March C&I, April D&J, May E&K, June F&L, July A&G, August B&H, September C&I, October D&J, November E&K, December F&L.
- Twelve Colors (140yds/100g each): ALTERNATIVE to above. Each month, use a new color to make two blocks.
- Twenty-Four Colors (70yds/50g each):: Each month, make two blocks using two different colors.