“Periwinkle Flower Garden”
About the Quilt:
I fell in love with Moda’s Meadowbloom fabrics and snatched up a layer cake as soon as my favorite quilt shop got them in stock! I paired the layer cake with a new template – the Periwinkle (Kite) shape that gives this pattern its name!
The Periwinkle Template is the perfect size for trimming a 5″ or 10″ square into periwinkles, but then you’ve got little bits of scrap fabric. I didn’t want to waste any of my Meadowbloom! So I designed a pattern that would allow me to use the extra pieces. It gives the quilt a very scrappy look, but scrappy is in! To give the eye a chance to “rest”, I added internal borders in a neutral. After the quilt top was all pieced together, I decided to add a green border (using 7 strips from the small green jelly roll) to really accent the garden theme.
- Meadowbloom by Moda (Bright, bold prints in Pink, White, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple)
- Color II (Green) by Moda
- “Natural” (a warm, neutral cream)
- Periwinkle (Kite) Template
- Blocks: 1 Layer Cake (Bright Prints)
- Internal Borders: 1 small jelly roll (Neutral)
- Borders & Binding: 1 small jelly roll (Green)
- Batting: Twin
- Backing: 4 yards